Monday, August 13, 2012

Time Jump

I had an experience once that caused me to step back and take a real hard look at what we term "reality" and "time". 

It was 2001 and I was traveling to Athens, Ohio from Cincinnati to a business appointment at the Ohio University College of Medicine. I had made that trip several times prior; it was 157 miles from my driveway to the college. The trip always took between 2 hours and 45 minutes to 3 hours, depending on if I had to stop for gasoline. This particular day I did stop for gasoline.


My appointment was at 1pm so at 10am I left my driveway. It took me 10 minutes to wind around the neighborhood to get to the Interstate. From the Interstate to the rural route exit that led to the college took 15 minutes. I stopped for gas at a station on the rural route, in a busy commercial area before hitting the "smooth sailing" rural part of the 4-lane highway.

Once out of traffic, I put my cruise control - as I always did - on 70 mph (even though the speed limit was 60; I could always slow down in time if needed). I immediately became deeply enthralled in a dream I'd had the night before. The dream was a breakthrough dream for me; very symbolic and healing. I was right back in it on the drive to the University going back over the details - every single one - to learn the entire meaning it held for me.

When I "came to" and looked around, I didn't recognize where I was on the highway. I passed a road sign but didn't really recognize the name of the road and when I rounded the curve, I realized I was coming into Athens. "Man, I was really deep in thought" I recall thinking to myself. I looked at my watch and it was 12pm - Noon. WHAT???? In couldn't be. TWO hours? Had I missed a time change? 

I looked at my speedometer. It read 70 mph; the cruise control was still on. Yet I was a FULL hour early. There was a Dairy Queen up ahead and I pulled off. I sat in the parking lot dumbfounded. I couldn't figure it out. I went inside to check the correct time. It was really noon.

I drove 150 miles in two hours. That meant I would have had to average 75 mph the entire trip. Yet I'd driven 25 and 35 mph for 10 minutes to the highway, 60-65 mph to the exit for the 4-lane, stopped for gas and cruised 70 mph the rest of the way.

I got a cup of coffee; I had an hour to blow. To this day, I can only attribute it to what I call time jumping. Somehow I jumped time. Could I have been back in dreamtime? I could accept that but what about the car? Did I pass through a vortex of some kind? This experience was a catalyst for my interest in time and space and the "dimension" of time.

I would love to hear of others unexplained experiences with "time". Please feel free to post comments and experiences.